Thursday, May 30, 2013

Spackle





 Art recipes using spackling compound found at the hardware store and used to fill holes and cracks in the walls of your house.  Spackling or Spackle (a trade mark) works a lot like acrylic modeling paste and makes a nice textured surface for your artwork.  You can add acrylic color, ink, powdered pigment to it or let it dry and then paint.
Here are my recipes and many are colored yellow as the ABC theme is Y= yellow.

Recipe 1:  use a palette knife (used in painting) or a kitchen butter knife and spread Spackle onto your paper.  (I used 140 lb. watercolor paper because I have a lot of it and the thickness will support Spackle and paint.)  Let it dry and then color it with ink, acrylic paint, or watercolor.  (I used craft acrylic paint)  Optional:  when dry, apply collage papers with acrylic medium (as a glue).

Spackling compound (Spackle), watercolor paper, different knives (old butter knife, plastic palette painting
knife, and metal palette painting knife)
  

Some of the color I used:  spray bottles of paint/ink, Glimmer Mist shine, craft acrylic paint

Spackling Compound (it had some liquid at the top when I opened the plastic container.  I mixed the
liquid around and then spread the Spackle onto my watercolor paper).

Recipe 1 spreading the Spackle onto the watercolor paper, then letting it dry


Recipe 1 colored (when dry) with craft acrylic paint
Recipe 2:  apply a thin coat of Spackling Compound to the paper and then texture it with tools while wet.  Let it dry.  Color it with watercolor, acrylic paint, or ink.  (I used craft acrylic paint)



Texture tools I used:  corrugated paper, rubber textured place mat, kitchen potato masher, plastic hair comb


Texture marks made in the wet Spackle.  I then let it dry.



Recipe 2 with craft acrylic paint added (after the spackle dried) See how the texture shows up!

Recipe 3:  spread a thin layer of Spackling Compound.  Press on collage papers and add some more Spackle to bury part of the papers.  Let it dry, then color it with watercolor, acrylic paint, or ink.  Dry and then protect the surface with a layer of beeswax.  (I didn't do the beeswax step.  Wasn't sure if you melted the wax and applied it or rubbed it on like a wax polish.  I may try this later).  I used craft acrylic paint.\

Collage papers pressed into the thin layer of Spackling Compound.

More Spackle added to bury some of the collage papers.  Then it was left to dry.

Recipe 3 with acrylic color added.  Collage over and under Spackle.
 Recipe 4:  apply Spackle to your paper and let it dry.  Then, flick paint over the surface, splatter paint.
(I didn't see much difference with this technique.  The raised surface of the Spackle didn't really show up.)

Spackle with craft acrylic paint splatter.
  Recipe 5:  apply a thick layer of Spackling Compound with a palette knife.  While wet, press stamps into the Spackle and quickly remove (clean off stamps as the Spackle will be hard to remove once dry).  Dry, then paint with watercolor, acrylic paint, or ink.


Stamps I used:  a homemade one using foam and then a purchased bird stamp.



Spackle drying with stamped images.

Recipe 5 colored with acrylic paint/ink spray on dried Spackle (stamped images)

 Recipe 6:  apply Spackling Compound to the paper and let it dry.  Once dry, wet the spackle with a spray bottle and drop on powdered pigment (I used PearlEx powders because that is what I had.  I rubbed the powders into the dry Spackle and let that dry).

PearlEx powders I own and used.  I dropped the powder into the watery surface on top of the dried Spackle.

Finished paper with PearlEx Powders on top of dried Spackle

Nice papers and a great jumping off place for collage.  Use it in your journal, cut up for a card, apply it to a larger piece of artwork.  Great texture and easy to do.  Go to the hardware store and get some Spackling paste/compound/Spackle (lots of words used for the same item).  And not too expensive---        Wendy








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spackle is a registered trademark of the Muralo Company, located in Bayonne New Jersey. Please respect our trademark.